Nigerian News At Nigeriannews.com.ng

Latest Nigeriannews at Nigerian News Read Nigerian newspapers.com.ng at Nigeriannews.com.ng

Lagos Takes Woman Who Set 10-Year-Old Boy Ablaze To Court

Woman Who Set 10-Year-Old Brother-In-Law On Fire Over Misplaced Trousers Gets Dragged To Court By Lagos State Government

Gift Igwe
Gift Igwe

 

The government of Lagos State has arraigned Gift Igwe, a woman who set her 10-year-old brother-in-law ablaze in Agunfoye area of Ikorodu, Lagos.

The young boy, Chimobi, who has now been placed in protective custody by the Lagos State Government, had sustained extensive burn injuries on his back and arms.

Chimobi was set on fire out of a fit of anger by his sister-in-law for misplacing his trousers and failed to produce them when the woman asked him for them.

The boy was reported to have been rescued by other residents of the community who heard Chimobi’s loud cries of anguish and in response rushed him to a hospital.

The Director of the Office Public Defence, Mrs Olubokola Salami, told Saturday Punch that the boy has now been taken into a children’s home where he will be better catered for.

Igwe, who is a nursing mother, was charged to court by the government of the state for causing grievous bodily harm to the boy, under Section 254 of the Criminal Code Laws of Lagos, 2011.

Igwe has since been granted bail for the sum of N500,000 with sureties with bails of the same amount but has failed to perfect the required conditions.

Salami also said that the OPD had considered the idea of taking Igwe’s 4-month-old baby into custody along with Chimobi, but that prison officials had told her that there was a wing for nursing mothers in the Kirikiri Prisons where she is now being held.

Salami said; “When we charged her to court, all the people in the community came to court that day to buttress the fact that she had been abusing the child over a period of time.

“We thought we could have charged the boy’s brother to court for neglect too because when he brought the boy, who is an orphan from the village, he failed to put him in school.  At the moment, we are working to ensure that the boy is enrolled in a school.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *